Sonntag, 3. November 2013

Raw Vegan Carrot Cake (no baking, no refined sugar!)

Last week I was truely excited to find that a free, vegan online magazine had been launched. The Vegan Food Magazine is a truely beautifully designed and interesting read! You can get your copy for free as a pdf on their website.

The pictures in the magazine were so mouth-watering, I had to try out a few recipes. I do wish they would release a paper copy of the magazine, so I could take it on the train, the couch or to bed with me (yes, I'm one of those dinosaurs who does not own a tablet), but also so I could take notes. The recipes I tried were in American cup measurements, which I find incredibly inconvenient. I have cup measures, but I prefer to weigh ingredients on my little scale. I have changed both recipes (the Raw Vegan Carrot Cake and the coffee cake that I will post later... it's still in the oven) a little, and I would have loved to write that down on my recipe copy. Oh well. I'll just keep track of my version in this blog. :) Speaking of recipes and blogs, here is the recipe for the carrot cake!

This looks pretty green, but that's just the light. It's actually a light orange-beige-y color.


Heads up: You will not need an oven, but you will need a food processor and a freezer, as well as a 15cm/6 inch spring-form pan.

Ingredients:




Ingredients for the icing:
  • 220g of cashews (soaked in water for a few hours)
  • 3 table spoons of sea-bucktorn juice (lemon juice or orange juice should work just as well)
  • 2 table spoons of sesame oil (or coconut oil)
  • 80g of maple syrup

Ingredients for the cake:
  • 300g of carrots (weight before you peeled them)
  • 180g of buckwheat flour
  • 250g of dates (or 150g of dates and 100g of dried pineapple)
  • 35g of dried shredded coconut
  • 1/2 table spoon of cinnamon
  • 1/2 table spoon of cardamon
  • a pinch of salt

How to make the icing:
  • Blend the cashews in your food processor, add sea-buckthorn juice, sesame oil and maple syrup and blend together. 
  • Put in a bowl and set aside for later.


How to make the cake:
  • Peel the carrots and cut them into small chunks/slices (so your food processors doesn't die).
  • Make sure there are no seeds left in your dates. Cut dates into small pieces (for the same reason as the carrots).
  • Blend all the cake ingredients (dates, carrots, buckwheat flour, shredded coconut, cinnamon, cardamon, and salt) together. 
  • At this point, the blended ingredients should stick together when you push your fingers down on them. 
  • Put parchment paper into your springform pan. Take half of the cake base mixture and press it down in the pan, so it sticks together nicely. 
  • Spread 1/3 of the icing on top.
  • Put the cake in the springform pan into the freezer until it's frozen. 
  • Add another layer of cake (the other half of the batter) and icing (1/3 of the total or half of what's left). 
  • Freeze again. 
  • Cut around the edges of the springform pan to get the cake out of the pan.
  • Turn it upside down on a plate to remove the parment paper. This shouldn't be a problem as your cake is frozen. 
  • Turn the cake around again and use the last third of your icing to cover the sides of the cake. 
  • Sprinkle with anything you like for decoration. I used pistachios because pistachios are awesome. 
  • Allow cake to get back to room temperature before serving. 
  • Enjoy + share with people you love!